It is important to obtain the services of reputable and experienced real estate lawyers when it comes to complex purchases or sales of real estate properties.
What are the qualities of trustworthy and competent real estate lawyers? To start with, there are instances when buyers and sellers of real properties will require the guidance of experienced attorneys in this practice. These are mostly special cases such as foreclosures, purchasing short sales, real estate investments, and technical hitches in simple transactions.
Go over the following qualities that one should look for in real estate lawyers:
- Efficient real estate lawyers should be smart and have the necessary experience. This is important since litigations are relatively complex and could be protracted. Likewise, the lawyer must be adept in facilitating transactions that have something to do with ownership, use and maintenance. Besides, clients do not want undue delays and closures especially if these are commercial properties. See to it that you check their background on litigations before making a decision to hire.
- Clever real estate lawyers are expected to provide rational advice but the decision of clients must prevail in the end. These attorneys must be informed about matters pertaining to leasing, financing, development, property management, land use, and zoning. A good lawyer needs excellent communication skills to influence the outcome of negotiations.
- All real estate lawyers must be honest and punctual. All clients will look forward to truthful reports no matter what the outcome of the case is. Promptness during meetings and hearings manifests the professionalism of the lawyer. This should go with reporting on time about the progress of real estate deals. Tardiness and failure to make reports only show that the counsel may have been negligent or inefficient.
- Real estate lawyers must be capable of providing references from colleagues (fellow lawyers) and individuals, real estate professionals or companies/law offices that they worked for in the past. There are also online sources for lawyers. Many law offices have their own websites for potential clients to look at. It will also be good if attorneys on your short list can give the names of former clients. This is proof that the lawyer has a reputation to be proud of. Seek the advice of trusted persons or realtors who have been in the industry for some time.
- See to it that you interview these lawyers personally. Inquire about their education and other credentials, areas of practice, and scheme of charging fees. It could be a retainer agreement which most people prefer. There should be no conflict of interest such as lawyers who may have connections with property developers or affiliated with agents of sellers.
- When it comes to hiring real estate lawyers, the person should be someone you will trust, be comfortable with and demonstrate utmost proficiency. Negotiate with the fees and be sure about the details of your arrangement before signing a contract. Begin your search early. You need time to find a very good lawyer for this purpose.